Jamie Goode recently travelled to South Africa to judge at a Chenin blanc competition and awarded scores to a few wines he tasted over dinner. A few of the wines are outlined below. Click here to read the full blog entry.
- De Morgenzon DMZ Reserve Chenin Blanc 2011 Stellenbosch, South Africa 92/100
- We currently stock both the 2012 vintage at R 182/ bottle and the 2013 vintage at R 206/ bottle
- De Morgenzon DMZ Reserve Syrah 2012 Stellenbosch, South Africa – not yet released 94/100
- Mvemve Raats MR de Compostella 2012 Stellenbosch, South Africa 94/100 – R 815/ bottle
- Raats Family Cabernet Franc 2012 Stellenbosch, South Africa 92/100
Goode also expressed his hope that this Chenin blanc tasting will focus more attention on this variety, since he believes that South Africa can proudly lead with this cultivar. Loire Chenin, which can be great, rarely has the name of the variety on the label, leaving a gap for South Africa to potentially claim some sort of ownership over the grape.