The RisCura Red Hot Wine Awards, a collaboration between Winemag.co.za and, global financial services provider, RisCura, took place last week and the scores for SA’s top Bordeaux-style red blends have been published.
‘The Bordeaux region in the southwest of France is famous for its red blends, the best of which have the ability to mature with benefit for many years in bottle. The two grape varieties that feature most prominently are austere Cabernet Sauvignon and fleshy Merlot, although Cabernet Franc, Malbec and Petit Verdot also play a role. The style has been imitated around the world and South Africa is no exception.’ – Christian Eedes, Editor of Winemag.co.za
The 59 entries were tasted blind, by the three-person judging panel consisting of Christian Eedes and Wine Cellar’s Roland Peens and James Pietersen, and then scored according to the 100-point quality scale.
Of the 59 competition entrants, the following 13 wines were awarded 90 points or higher:
- Groot Constantia Gouverneurs Reserve Red 2013 – 94/100
- Ernie Els Signature 2013 – 93/100
- Mvemve Raats MR de Compostella 2014 – 93/100
- Delaire Graff Botmaskop 2014 – 92/100
- Hartenberg The Mackenzie 2012 – 92/100
- Spier Creative Block 5 2013 – 92/100
- Vriesenhof Kallista 2010 – 92/100
- Dombeya Fenix 2011 – 91/100
- Eikendal Classique 2014 – 91/100
- Uva Mira O.T.V. 2014 – 91/100
- Creation Merlot Cabernet Sauvignon Petit Verdot 2014 – 90/100
- Diemersdal Private Collection 2014 – 90/100
- Rustenberg John X Merriman 2013 – 90/100
Shop online for our selection of RisCura Red Hot Wine Award winners.
Read the full report on the 2016 RisCura Red Hot Wine Awards here.
Photo credit: Winemag.co.za